Sunday, January 10, 2010

Ulva

To answer the question. Ulva is a predator free (no possums, no rats, no mice) island off the coast of Stewart Island, New Zealand, where the Department of Conservation has re-introduced many of the native bird species from New Zealand. The birds can eat, drink, and be merry, because they don't have to worry about any predators. Except sometimes a very inquisitive gull.

It was fantastic to have the opportunity to walk through a habitat that was very much what New Zealand, as a whole, used to be like. Lots of Ferns and other similar plants. Lots of moss. Lots of mud (but today, I had a boardwalk). And lots of close encounters with native birds.

The first birds of the island were the two common water birds seen in these parts, the Red-billed Gull, and Black Oystercatcher. They have both been giving me ample photo opportunities.

Then, it was off to the interior of the island. And what do I spy but one of the two most cheekiest birds I have encountered here in New Zealand, the Weka (Stewart Island species). Followed very quickly by the other cheeky species, the Robin (Stewart Island subspecies).

It was going to be a good day. Well worth the water taxi trip out there.

I spent all day (well, 9 am to 4 pm) on the island. It was paradise...though a bit cooler than a tropical beach. But very little rain, even some sun, so no complaints! It was fantastic to walk on well trodden tracks that were not muddy, walk along the beaches followed by the Wekas, watch penguins swimming just off shore. Yes, I got to watch them again today. How awesome is this place?

And, I got two of my three target birds for this part of the trip. Yellowhead (the more important of the three to get), and the Brown Creeper. No relation to the North American Brown Creeper. It took a while to get that first look at one. But after I did, I couldn't not see them, or hear them. After the tui and bellbird, they may have been the most abundant bird out there.

Near the end of my time on the island, I got to just sit and watch (well, stand and watch) as a South Island Kaka went to town on the flowers of one of the trees here. It's hard to describe how massive this parrot is. Very vocal too, though this guy was so preoccupied with his flowers he paid me no mind.

I also got fantastic views of the New Zealand Pigeon. It nearly makes up for missing the Wompoo Fruit Dove in Australia. But, as I am well known for saying, I always need an excuse to go back somewhere. This guy was waiting by the dock to bird me farewell. Though I will be seeing plenty more of them over the next few days, I am sure.

So, the next stage of the journey remains here on Stewart Island. I get a water taxi tomorrow to take me up to Freshwater Hut. This cuts a full day and half out of walking time, and allows me to have more time to hunt for the 5th item on the to-do list here. Yep, it's Kiwi hunting time (not rifle style, just spotting style). It felt weird to pack my bag today without my tent in it. Since I will be staying in huts, no need. It's amazing how much easier it is to fit everything in it. I have all my foul weather gear too, since I will expect that day 4 will enjoy a very wet and muddy slog. As in, up to my knees mud. I'm looking forward to the adventure! I even spend 2 nights in one camp, to allow me the best opportunity to spy a Kiwi. I am finishing Stewart Island in grand style. I'm already looking forward to my post-adventure feast and beer. Hopefully a celebratory one.

It's hard to believe this adventure is nearing it's end. When I come out (hopefully very happy) on Friday, I will be only 4 days from venturing back to Australia, and 5 days from heading back to New York.

I bid you adieu, for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment