Friday, January 15, 2010

Embrace the mud!

Okay, this will perhaps be my last post from Kiwi land; though I will try to get another up the day before I leave (2 days from now). Only a few things left to accomplish here. I have to send a package home of camping gear, and go on my first (and only) guided tour tomorrow. I am off to photograph up close and personal the New Zealand Fur Seal, Toroa, and Hoiho. A future post should have some wonderful shots.

And the weather FINALLY changed for the better! I'm not sure if it is location, or a change in pattern. But whatever, I like it! Bright sunny skies, few clouds. It's not quite shorts weather...but it sure beats wearing muddy rain gear (more on that in a moment).

And for those Harry Potter nuts out there, I am staying at Hogwarts. Seriously. That's the name of my hostel. Pretty neat. It's a converted house; the bishop for the cathedral used to live there. In essence, the place is huge.

But the stories the past week are all about the tramp. Some disappointment: I never did spy a kiwi. Heard a lot. Saw a few tracks. But no visual. But some excitement: I did see Banded Dotterel (now you know where my e-mail name is from...), Fernbird (the bird I missed on Ulva), New Zealand Pipit, and Skylark. And the most wonderful secluded beach. And the most wonderful huts.

And fun with mud. Embrace the mud. Love the mud. Sometimes even accidentally eating the mud.

All the rain on stewart the past, well, month or so, made for some wonderful hiking conditions. Photos to come at a future date. I had my waterproof boots. Gaiters. Rain pants. Rain coat. Rain hat. Pack cover. So, I managed to stay (at the skin level), dry. But at times I walked in water just below my waist. ON THE TRAIL. Other times I walked in mud, up to my waist. ON THE TRAIL. These kiwis know how to make a trail! I was forewarned about Stewart, and it did not disappoint. Once you learn to embrace the mud, you enjoy yourself. Oh, and I had it easy on my parts of the trail. A few of the others on the island were worse, from talking to others. One couple I ran into had a mud line at chest height. Egad! I look forward to my next opportunity!

For comparison purposes: Ecuador was never this muddy, just wet. Rara avis in Costa Rica doesn't come close. And neither does Hawaii. When you take a step without knowing if you are going to sink 6 inches or 6 feet (!), it makes for some lively stepping! It was the perfect way to relax and enjoy myself on the last leg of my trip. And of course I enjoyed my usual post tramp food binge and beer.

I bid you all a good day. Future posts should be including lots and lots of photos, since I will back stateside. I will see many of you soon, I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment