Friday, January 8, 2010

Seabirds, see birds, seas, and summer snow

This will be quick. I don't have much time.

My trip to Stewart from Queenstown has gone well. More than well. It was snowing in the high elevations last night in queenstown. I'm glad I decided to forgo the tramp into the bush line, and come to stewart early. I don't mind winter camping...but I wanted to see some new birds.

And new birds I have seen! The seas were a bit rough (to put it mildly) on the crossing to Stewart Island (about 5-10 meter sees, I would guess). But this means good for sea birds! Shy Albatrosses. Sooty Shearwaters. Blue Skies. Ahhh....I like the ocean, even if it tries to make the stomach do sumersaults (no, I didn't get sick).

The next couple of days should be a blast. I got at least 2 new birds today: Shy Albatross and Spotted Shag. I don't know if I will make it to Ulva Island tomorrow. But the weather has finally seemed to turn the corner for the better for me.

I will post more in the next day or two. But I am trying to keep on my new year's resolution to write more.

No comments:

Post a Comment