Saturday, January 9, 2010

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I've included a video with the post today. It's only a short one, but I am really glad I saw what I saw.

Some small background. Before coming down to Australia, and then to New Zealand, I set some goals for myself. Minor ones, but here they are:

-Get a photo of the following: Rainbow Lorikeet, Laughing Kookaburra, Fairy Wren, and a Kangaroo.
-See at least 72 new birds, if possible over 100
-See a Satin Bowerbird
-See a Kiwi
-See a Penguin
-See an Albatross
-See a Tuatara, if possible
-Have fun

There is only ONE item left to do on that list. And that is see a Kiwi. And some of you know already, but...



PENGUIN! PENGUIN! PENGUIN! I saw my first penguin today (well, now yesterday, since it is after midnight)!

This tells me I am pretty far south, eh? Man, today and last night were fantastic, in spite of all the rain.

To expand on the post yesterday...I was starting to enjoy the scenery and the scene in Queenstown. But I was really anxious to get out and see some more birds, and Queenstown and areas nearby weren't the place for it, at least not at that time with the weather (snow and cold) bearing down on the alpine environs. So, I got all my bags packed, and headed south, to Invercargill, and from there to Stewart Island. Not before I got to enjoy (and shiver a bit while doing so) the white-capped mountain scenery in Queenstown. I had wondered why a felt a bit chilled when I woke up...

On the way to Invercargill, I enjoyed some scenery. Wrote some postcards while waiting for my ride. Read up on where to go while on Stewart Island. And just imagined what it might be like. I am not in any way disappointed.

From Invercargill to the ferry terminal, I was even able to pick up a new bird for the trip, a Pied Stilt (I saw this on my last trip to New Zealand too, I am fairly sure). I took this as a good sign.

The bay was calm. The weather was clear. Well, it wasn't raining, there was sun and blue sky. Still lots of clouds, though. So, I decided to sit on the back deck of the ferry, to watch for seabirds as we headed to the island. And what a show I had! The seas were a bit higher than I ever imagined they might be; but then, I was in the 'Roaring Forties', which can make some pretty big swells. Perfect weather to admire the Sooty Shearwaters (check) and the Shy Albatrosses (check) show what perfect flying machines they were. Oh, and I was able to spy some Spotted Shags (check) and some Stewart Island Shags (check) sitting on rocks on the way into the bay into Oban, Stewart Island's main port. Population, 400.

I didn't realize how much I was looking forward to this section of the trip till I got here. I mean, I knew I was pumped for here. But I really feel I am finally starting to slow down. Today, I got my plans set for the next week, which includes a wet, muddy 5 day, 4 night tramp through the interior of the island. And I don't have to worry about traveling much anymore. And, since I saw a penguin here, I don't have to worry about seeing them in Dunedin. So Dunedin may just be a place for seabird photography. We shall see.

But today, in spite of the rain, had some exciting times anyway. I took a short walk (about 3 hours) today around my end of the island, to see what I could see. Like, maybe a Stewart Island Weka (check!). And a Kakariki (check!). And, of course, my first, but not last, Little Blue Penguin (check!). I knew the penguins had to be around. I could hear what sounded like soft quacking in the ocean, of which my view was severely obstructed by vegetation. It didn't help I was on a cliff top, and the water, and the birds, were well below me. But, eventually I found my overlook. And I paused, and soaked it in. And did my happy dance.

So, I finally saw a penguin. I still am in disbelief. I did another walk this evening, to head to the point of land where they come ashore to feed their chicks, which were hidden in burrows. I got to watch one penguin just play in the water as the tide came in, much closer than my views I got from the cliff. Wow. I am starting to realize just how well traveled I am getting.

That makes one more bird 'type' I have knocked off my list of type of bird to see. I have yet to see a ratite (flightless bird) in the wild. There are only about 5 types of birds in the ratites now: Kiwi (NZ), Rhea (S. America), Ostrich, Emu, and Cassowary (both Australia). Maybe I will get the Kiwi this week. Even if not, this trip has been a huge success, and I am really happy how it has gone (though I could do with a little less rain).

Keep happy everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment