Sunday, November 14, 2010

Thanks - the 2010 version

[Floating back to Iquitos from the community of San Martin on the River Nanay - ahhhhhhh!]

I will be in the field during the upcoming American Thanksgiving holiday. So what am I thankful for?

First and foremost - I am thankful I have such a supportive and encouraging family, both immediate and extended. The e-mails, however brief, I get from home make the long distances easier to deal with, and the long communication gaps. It is taking me a long time to figure out where I want my life to go, but certain events of the past 16 months have definitely made me realize I need to take my opportunities to travel now. Thank you all so much.

I am thankful that though I don't have anyone (except my sister) I consider my best friend, I have a small circle of very close friends that I can talk to about everything I need. In no particular order, they are Ryan, Kristina W, Ginger, Archer, Cat and Ben, and Leslie.

I am thankful that I have been so blessed and lucky in these field excursions, that I find some way to make it work for now, and that I have been able to travel so extensively. When I look back on the past 16 months, it seems so unreal. Missouri and Maine; Australia and New Zealand; Wyoming and now Peru. Wow.

So in that regard, I'm thankful I have had the privilege to work for and with some of the best people ever. In no particular order: Judit, Adrienne, Jennifer, Hannah, George, Ken, Pauline, Liz and Abraham, Heather, Archer and Reimi, and Ryan.

Thanks again to all of you. You mean more to me than you can possibly know.

No comments:

Post a Comment