Friday, February 5, 2010

Endings and Beginnings




Well, I never did get the last post up before I left Kiwi Land. I have been done traveling for about two and half weeks, so I figured it was about time I caught up, and put some of the much awaited pictures up of various things.

Kiwi land treated me well, and at times (such as during my tramp through Nelson Lake Lakes National Park, above) I felt very relaxed. During all my trips I learn something new, and have something to return for. For New Zealand, of course, it is to find that ever elusive Kiwi bird. And as much as I enjoyed the trip, I think next time I won't try to travel quite so far.

By far the highlight of the trip was tour with Elm Wildlife to see the penguins, albatrosses, and fur seals. Getting up close to the sea lions was a bonus. For all the adventures I have been on, seeing that penguin walk up the beach right in front of us was beyond words. And seeing a sea lion so close, without any barriers, about 10 feet away. Incredible. And the effortless flying of the Albatrosses as well was awesome.

So, the last day, there was no way I could top that. So, I did what any other person would have done: go find out how beer was made, and then sample the end product. Yep, it was Speight's Brewery tour time! It was only about a 200 meter walk from the hostel entrance, so I figured what the hey.

God bless those egyptians! Inventing beer so long ago (yeah, we got a history lesson of beer as well!)


So, after the history lesson, it was through the brewery. Our guide led us through all the different steps, and ingredients used. As well as giving us some interesting trivia. Such as, why certain beers (namely, mass produced ones, especially in the US) give you such bad hangovers. What hops are related to (hemp or marijuana). How you can use hops to help cure insomnia (put some in the pillowcase). Oh, and why Guinness from a tap tastes different wherever you go (it's the water).


After the tour, we were taken to the brew room, where we had to test the beers for quality. And also, at the same time, learn how different a beer will taste when it is only a couple of days old. Finally, I learned I still don't like really fruity beer (they had their apricot seasonal ale for the summer on tap), and I don't like the low carb beers.

So, from here, it was time to have my last nights of my trip. I went out to eat for dinner in New Zealand, then sat and relaxed and watched a movie. I returned to Brisbane for a night, collected my luggage, repacked everything, and then tried to relax. Brisbane felt kind of funny, actually. When I had arrived in October, and during the few days before I left for New Zealand after the project was done, I always had friends around to hang with. It almost felt lonely that night without anyone around. But thankfully, I didn't have a lot of time to dwell on that, met some wonderful people when I went out to eat, and then returned home.

And I miss the warm weather already! As much as I enjoy winter and the snow, my body got very used to 8 months of summer. The best and worst thing about now though, has to be...

...where will I go from here?

I already have a few applications out to potential guiding opportunities. The hardest part is the waiting game. I haven't decided yet what my cutoff date is to get a job. I have a few field jobs I can apply to that I expect I would easily be able to get. Since I have decided guiding is my future, however, I want to hold off on that as long as possible. So, we shall see.

In the meantime, get outside! Explore! When you have a decision between catching a re-run and watching a bird in the backyard, always choose the bird. Even if it is "just a cardinal."

No comments:

Post a Comment