Thursday, September 10, 2009

Exciting times in Maine

So this post won't be going up until I am already done with my field work up here. But better to write it now, so my current thoughts (on September 10) are written.

So, after hurricane Bill passed us by, we were brought back out to the island, and I have been here (Metinic Island) since. Though I am only 5 miles from the mainland, it can seem much farther away at times. Which is a nice feeling. Any groceries I need I send a list to the Refuge biologist or manager, and they pick things up before they get onto the boat to come out to us. Then I give them a check to pay them back. A nice system...and my experience in Hawaii gave me good practice on planning ahead. But at least here we have a full kitchen: oven, stove, and refrigerator (important for keeping the beer cold!).

Right now, we are only doing passive passerine banding, capturing some resident birds, but now mostly migrants. My colleague here is a great teacher: mist net extraction has always been my weakest skill set, and I FINALLY have a teacher who is patient to help me get better. Most days we are not catching that many birds, especially the last few days. The wind has become an issue. Even though it is mostly from the north (excellent for migrants), it has been a little strong, so that we can't keep all the nets open. But the first day with the north wind...WOW! What a day (this was September 6th). We only opened half the nets, and doubled our best day for catching. We caught 102 new individuals of 23 species! Included in this was our 2nd Prothonotary Warbler of the season! For those non-bird nuts: the nearest (known) breeding area for this bird is New York state (I believe). So we are a bit north and east for these guys.

This hasn't been the only odd bird caught up here. A couple of days ago we caught a Rufous Hummingbird. This bird's nearest breeding area is western Montana(!), though it has been found in recent years as a regular migrant in Pennsylvania and New York. But again, we are a bit north for this bird. One of the other islands up here (Petit Manan), which is even more north from where we are (we are south and west of Acadia National Park, Petit Manan is north and east of the park), caught a Lark Sparrow! Nearest breeding area is eastern Indiana.

Yeah, crazy stuff! Other highlights recently include a couple of Flickers (an oversize woodpecker), and a Sharp-shinned Hawk. Both wonderful birds.

And I have added to my life lists! Being on the ocean has its benefits. My first week here, I saw 7 new species for the US, mostly from the boat on the way to and from the island. These include the Common Eider (of eider down fame) and Common Tern, that breed on the island. Also regularly seen on the water are Black Guillemots. We have a lot of Whimbrel here on the island, fattening themselves up for the long trip south. I saw my first Storm-petrel (Wilson's), first Jaeger (Parasitic), and the Northern Gannet to round off the trip. It is awesome up here!

Which makes me wonder if I might decide to come up here next summer...for the entire summer. Words cannot describe how awesome this place feels. It is very relaxing up here (though I do wish I had more reading material). The weather is perfect...though as much as I mentally prepared myself for the cold, 50 degree nights have taken some getting used to. And September is the perfect time to be on the coast of Maine. This was the right place to come for the 7 weeks I was without work. And of course the ocean is right there...a bit chilly. But most of you should recall that I am a Marine Biologist by degree...and I forgot how much I enjoy being on the ocean (I may prefer it over the mountains...but it's a toss up).

Most of my afternoons now are spent watching the shorebirds fatten themselves up on the shore. Once I choose my seat, I can just sit and watch, and they will come nice and close while feeding, knowing I am not a threat till I move. Fun...and they are called "peeps" because, well, that is the noise they make while foraging.

Life is good up here. I'm trying very hard not to count down my time to Australia...but right now it is less than a month away, and for so many reasons I can't wait to get there. But there are lots of things to distract me in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment